4.26.2013

Harper's April 2013 issue impresses me. When I got to the Le Carré piece the pages of the folio section were paper, not glossy. I haven't picked up a Harper's since I realized I very well couldn't get into its pages without an agent, but now that I've looked at it again the thing to me seems perfectly warranted for a good read.  I give it a good read. Lévi Straus and Le Carré in the same pages; at that, a good ton of other things.

In other news, I'm 38,000-words into a science fiction novel about a group set on an island to find buried nuclear device. On the island they find villagers and a violently rich land of aggressive bugs and fauna. The first four characters have died in ways I wasn't anticipating as the author, and others will seek out and find their own deaths via curiosity.